qBittorrent PREVIEW release

Discussions about i2P enabled Bittorrent clients, experience reports and issues
lgillis

qBittorrent PREVIEW release

Post by lgillis »

There is something new to play with, qBittorrent as release-4.6.0beta1 with I2P support. Binaries for Windows, Mac and AppImages can be found on sourceforge:
Comment by: anon user Added: 2023-06-24 06:11:52

4.6.0 Beta1 binaries
https://sourceforge.net/projects/qbitto ... .6.0beta1/
https://www.fosshub.com/qBittorrent.html
you need libtorrent 2.0.9 version (lt 20)
The source code to compile yourself can be found at: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/tags

;-)
chocolate

Re: qBittorrent PREVIEW release

Post by chocolate »

Note:
As of 5.10.2023, the webversion/ no X, does not support i2p.
So if you have a headless server for i2p, this is currently not possible
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

Despite reports to the contrary or abbreviations, qBittorrent version 4.6.0 includes EXPERIMENTAL I2P support as a new feature.

Download as usual via Github or, better, with the package management of your own distribution.

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... ease-4.6.0
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

qbittorrent: 4.6.2
libtorrent-rasterbar2.0: 2.0.9
I2Pd: 2.49.0

SAM is not working properly. Downloading a .torrent file from the tracker and the associated torrent worked. The subsequent distribution fails permanently.

#+begin_src sh :results raw
cut -f2 -d/ /var/log/i2pd/i2pd.log | grep 'SAM' | sort -u
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
error - SAM: Destination to connect not found
error - SAM: Naming lookup failed. LeaseSet for tu5skej67ftbxjghnx3r2txp6fqz6ulkolkejc77be2er5v5zrfq.b32.i2p not found
error - SAM: Read error: End of file
error - SAM: Read error: Operation canceled
error - SAM: Reply send error: Bad file descriptor
error - SAM: Stream read error: Operation canceled

#+begin_src sh :results raw
cut -f2 -d/ /var/log/i2pd/i2pd.log | grep 'SAM' | wc -l
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:

Maybe I'm just too stupid to set it up correctly? Does qbittorrent work for you?
cumlord

Post by cumlord »

i have gotten qbittorrent to work with java i2p but i haven't tried with i2pd router yet

but couldn't figure out why speeds where so much slower with qbittorrent compared to snark or biglybt so i chalked it up to still being experimental

might i'll see if can get it to work with i2pd later, hadn't thought to try that
yanol

Post by yanol »

Hello.

I have been able to run qbittorrent 4.6.2 with i2p experimental support, i have been testing it in the last few days, and my conclusion is that it is slower than the BiglyBT/I2Psnark things at the moment.

Upload speeds are,sometimes decent, but the download speeds are really slow, they barely reach 100kb/s sometimes.
Upload speeds reached 200kb/s in my case, some isolated peaks, then 30 or 40kb/s.

I have used i2pd and to run it the process was this:

Installing the qbittorrent. with i2p support (+4.6)

Create a new profile of qbittorrent, in case you want to use it as a 'i2p only' client:

qbittorrent --configuration="I2Pprofile"

This will create a configuration folder called 'qbittorrent_I2Pprofile' in ~/.config (/home/USER/.config)

After this, you will have to do the following:

Go to 'Preferences' > 'Connections' , mark (Tick) 'I2P (Experimental)' and adding in the 'Host' field the ip in where the 'proxy' is running, which in this case the proxy would be:

In the SAM port field, you should use the one corresponding to your i2p router, for i2pd the default SAM port is 7656

In the below fields, 'Proxy Server' should be :

HTTP (type of proxy) Host= 127.0.0.1
and there, the port is the HTTP port of your i2p router, which in i2pd is the 4444 by default
The 'Authentication' field is disabled.

You also should mark(tick):
"Perform Hostname lookup via proxy "
"Use proxy for BitTorrent purposes"
"Use proxy for RSS purposes"
"Use proxy for general purposes"

A few more things:

If you want to upload things to postman tracker, when creating the .torrent(Tools>Torrent Creation) use the

Torrent Format = V1

it is 'hybrid' by default, but that does not seem to be properly working with postman, since it was not properly recognized after being uploaded.

You should add the normal i2p trackers in the list, having in mind that you will not be able to seed/share things without trackers (missing DHT/PEX i2p protocols)

Lastly, i have been testing different way to improve the speeds, but i was not able to obtain good results. You can try to change the 'Upload Choking Algorithm' in Preferences>Advanced . Somehow, the qbittorrent client does have problems with 'availability' parts in peers: it seems that it will upload all the same parts to the different peers, instead of improving the sharing process and share different parts to each peer(which they will share together and make the download faster).
The default value for that option is 'Fastest Uploads' and i have tried 'Round-Robin' without better results. 'Anti-Leech' seems to be strange, and it did not improve the speeds in my case.

In case you have not being aware, you need to have Enabled your SAM service in the i2pd Webconsole. To check the value of the SAM port, you can go to your 'ip2d.conf' file and check it in there.

PS: you can enable the 'performance warnings' logs in Preferences>Behavior , at the end of the tab, then you go to 'View' and select 'Log'>Show to display a tab in where you can see the possible errors.

PS2: I have considered doing a guide of this, with photos, to make it easier, maybe in a few days i will have some time to do it.

PS3: I also have discovered that disabling 'Server-Side request forgery(SSRF) mitigation' will allow you to use trackers which does not have the announce URL as .../announce.php . This option is found in Preferences>Advanced

Yanol.
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

A question via Reddit:
qbittorrent still uses clear net peers for torrents (mixed mode off) [reddit.com]
is it normal or is it design like that ?
What does "normal" mean? For torrents with legal content that are looking for wide distribution, this can be a desired behavior. Tip: Remove all external trackers from the torrent file before importing.
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

I2Pedia: A little further training at the end of the year. Today: What is SSRF?
Server-side request forgery (SSRF) is a web security vulnerability that allows an attacker to cause the server-side application to make requests to an unintended location.

In a typical SSRF attack, the attacker might cause the server to make a connection to internal-only services within the organization's infrastructure. In other cases, they may be able to force the server to connect to arbitrary external systems. This could leak sensitive data, such as authorization credentials.
Link: qBittorrent-SSRF.webp
Type: image/webp, Size: 53.27 KB
yanol

Post by yanol »

lgillis wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:06 am A question via Reddit:
qbittorrent still uses clear net peers for torrents (mixed mode off) [reddit.com]
is it normal or is it design like that ?
What does "normal" mean? For torrents with legal content that are looking for wide distribution, this can be a desired behavior. Tip: Remove all external trackers from the torrent file before importing.
By 'normal' i understand 'clearnet' peers (Normal IPs shown, not i2p ones). I have not seen any of those clearnet IPs in my tests under qbittorrent. I guess the person has not configured the client properly, it is not just disabling the 'mixed mode', but also making all requests and peers connect via the proxy.
You can check a small how to in this tutorial i have added a few days ago, which is almost the same as my previous comment, but with pictures:

http://i2pforum.i2p/viewtopic.php?t=1224

PS: With this, you do not have to remove the clearnet trackers and else, since only those .i2p trackers will work in that 'strict' i2p mode (All clearnet trackers will mark 'not working' / 'not contacted yet') and you will not 'see' those clearnet peers.
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

zzz wrote:Vort, orignal, and other i2pd folks were helping qbittorrent figure out why it couldn't announce to tracker2.postman.i2p and discovered that postman had turned off ElGamal but libtorrent was not enabling X25519 via SAM.
zzz.i2p