Index to Technical Documentation (I2P)

General I2P related talk
lgillis

Index to Technical Documentation (I2P)

Post by lgillis »

# Introduction

Source: http://i2p-projekt.i2p/en/docs, January 10, 2024. Checking the links (internal/external) is the responsibility of the user.

This page was last updated in 2022-08 and is accurate for router version 0.9.55.

Following is an index to the technical documentation for I2P.

This index is ordered from the highest to lowest layers. The higher layers are for "clients" or applications; the lower layers are inside the router itself. The interface between applications and the router is the I2CP (I2P Control Protocol) API.

The specifications linked below are currently supported in the network. See the Proposals page for specifications in discussion or development.

The I2P Project is committed to maintaining accurate, current documentation. If you find any inaccuracies in the documents linked below, please enter a ticket identifying the problem.

# Index to Technical Documentation

== Overview
== Application-Layer Topics
== Application Layer API and Protocols

High-level, easy-to-use APIs for applications written in any language to send and receive data.
== End-to-End Transport API and Protocols

The end-to-end protocols used by clients for reliable and unreliable communication.
== Client-to-Router Interface API and Protocol

The lowest-level API used for clients (applications) to send and receive traffic to a router. Traditionally used only by Java applications and higher-level APIs.
== End-to-End Encryption

How client messages are end-to-end encrypted by the router.
== Network Database

Distributed storage and retrieval of information about routers and clients.
== Router Message Protocol

I2P is a message-oriented router. The messages sent between routers are defined by
the I2NP protocol.
== Tunnels

Selecting peers, requesting tunnels through those peers, and encrypting and routing messages through these tunnels.
== Transport Layer

The protocols for direct (point-to-point) router to router communication.
== Other Router Topics
== Developer's Guides and Resources
== The documentation in other languages

# Part 2: About I2P
== Guide to I2P Software
+++ Applications

+++ Help

:::: Comparisons
+++ Verify I2P
+++ Contributor Guides
:::: Develop Software
:::: Hosting Services
== Community
+++ Research
+++ Presentations, tutorials and articles
+++ Docs

:::: How does it work?

:::: API
:::: Protocols
:::: Transports
:::: Tunnels
:::: License
:::: Meetings, Roadmap
:::: Contact and Team

:::: Social Internetworks
:::: Impressum
anikey

Re: Index to Technical Documentation (I2P)

Post by anikey »

why did you just copy the entire page and put it here?
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

anikey wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:57 pm why did you just copy the entire page and put it here?
Why do you think it would just take a simple copy?
anikey

Post by anikey »

because the contents are the same

(the languages and everything after them are copied from the site's header/navbar)
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

In principle, you're right, but the list doesn't convert itself. It takes work and time.

Now to your question. I want us to have everything at our fingertips, that a forum search will lead us to the appropriate further references, if possible within the network. I don't want us to have to continue using Google or Microsoft via DuckDuckGo for questions about I2P. I don't want all questions about I2P, i.e. everything that is completely legal, to take place on the Internet in addition to development, and I2P itself to be used effectively only for the illegal. I don't want maybe a dozen people to serve as an alibi to give it a legal veneer. I want I2P to be used like a normal social network. As long as the majority of participants do not want to associate their opinions with their own made-up names because they do not want to damage their reputation, I2P is not suitable for the masses. However, mass suitability is necessary, it offers a certain degree of protection. Otherwise, sooner or later what can be observed all over the world will happen - hundreds of searches and arrests at the same time. Whether or not this is effective is irrelevant, the deterrent effect is completely sufficient. The public media report on these issues all the time, but here they keep quiet or play it down, with catastrophic consequences for the network. It is important to break the prevailing group dynamic, assholes and primitive criminals are not suddenly our friends just because we use I2P together. The ostensible claim of I2P is the realization of a better world, not its brutalization and the worsening of the social norm. The road to compatible coexistence is rocky and this list is not even a drop in the ocean, but hopefully a reminder that we have things in our own hands.
anikey

search/index and i2p

Post by anikey »

Oh, i see, you are suggesting to use forum search as general purpose information search/index.
Well, that's.. almost ok but not ideal, because forum's first and main purpose is to talk to people, not to search. Otherwise the search function would be featured more prominently (like on homepage of ddg/google/whatever search engine).

A more ideal approach would be to run or help someone run an actual in-i2p web crawler. I know these were a thing before. I don't know whether they are active now (i've heard of legwork the i2p yacy search).
This way nobody will need to repost everything to a forum simply to become searchable.

Or you could try living without search, instead relying on careful categorizing of links to sites and pages (like before search engines were a thing on the internet, i guess?). But probably not on a forum, because a forum's purpose is most likely different.